Thursday, January 14, 2010

Andrew is all around us...

Wow! It's been one month since my last post...you might be thinking I've forgotten about this. But the truth is, while getting through the holidays and celebrating Andrew's birthday on January 6, I and the family have been thinking of him almost constantly. I hung up the Christmas stockings and put his in its respective place. Later, I received a Christmas card from his Godmother with a note about Andrew and how much he meant to her. I put it in the stocking and plan to keep it there...forever!

The holidays were hard, but we did our best to keep our chins up and remembered Andrew, sometimes out loud and sometimes silently. Like on the day I was remarried...January 2, 2010. Lee and I have been together for four years and right around Christmas time I said to him, "Look! This is a cool date, 01.02.2010." It's a palindrome, the word meaning "running back again" in Greek. "Why don't we get married then," I said, and Lee instantly agreed.

So we invited our children, Lee's son Taylor and my girls, Jayne and Rebecca, along with my sisters and brothers and inlaws and some close friends and a few of Lee's relatives, to join us on a small sandy beach called Spooner's Cove at Montana de Oro State Park and witness our vows. I didn't say anything to the girls and Lee until later, but we stood on the beach in the exact same spot as where I had taken family portraits with my children six years earlier. For me, it was like Andrew was with us.

Today I took some wedding photos and inserted them into a collage picture frame that already contained those family photos from that earlier photo shoot. The finished product is, as I had anticipated, a seamless transition from that day six years ago to now...Andrew is on the beach with us, smiling and having a good time. Our family group then; our family group now. Same scenery, same sunshine and breaking waves--it's timeless, and we are all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment