Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's a sign....

So yesterday I found a recipe for a "Cool Cucumber Salad" and thought, I have a cucumber and red onion, so I am set. I knew my husband Lee would like it. We sat down together to eat that night, and Lee commented, rather sincerely, that his mom used to make a salad like that and it brought back some memories from his childhood. His mom had passed away when he was a boy, on the last day of school in his eighth grade year. Then he said, "She died today." June 14. Oh...

Weird how sometimes things work that way and you think, "It's a sign." You know those people you have lost are not ever really that far away. They live in your mind, in your thoughts and in your heart. Weird how I just stumbled upon that recipe that morning and decided to make that salad that reminded my husband of that time of his life. It's been a long time now, but I am sure some memories came rushing back to him and it felt the same, like he was there. I wonder if she planned that by planting that little seed for me...

I feel Andrew a lot, and so does Lee and of course my girls and my stepson, Taylor. Little things. Taylor borrowed my sweatshirt, the one that was Andrew's, and began wearing it a couple of weeks ago. My instinct was to grab it back, claim it for MINE! But I thought, oh well, maybe it will remind him of Andrew, too, and give him some kind of strength or inspiration. It's just a sweatshirt, after all, and it was meant for wearing.

Let go, share, live.

That's what keeps our memories alive. Gotta remember to do that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment